As the executive chef of newly opened St. Genevieve, Chef Paul Backer shares his passion for seasonal farm-fresh ingredients in his French-inspired cuisine. Prior to St. Genevieve, Paul was chef de cuisine at award-winning sister restaurant, Tilia. Now considered a neighborhood institution, Tilia allowed Paul to hone his skills and prepare for the next big role in his culinary career.
- Paul became executive chef of French-inspired tavern St. Genevieve when it opened in December 2015 in South Minneapolis.
- Following the immense success of Tilia, Paul worked closely with his team to open a new restaurant—St. Genevieve.
- As an advocate for sustainable ingredients, Chef Paul was selected to be a member of the Norwegian Seafood Council’s Culinary Board in 2014. He participated in a weeklong culinary enrichment trip to Norway where he was able to see the thriving seafood industry firsthand. Upon returning, he promoted Norwegian Salmon and Skrei on his menu, highlighting the unique attributes of each species.
- Paul joined Tilia shortly after the restaurant opened in 2011. By consistently showing his willingness to go above and beyond, he quickly rose from prep cook to sous chef and now, chef de cuisine.
- Paul was then on the opening staff of The Inn in downtown Minneapolis while at the same time helping open Pizzeria Lola.
- After moving to the Twin Cities, he worked under Tyge Nelson at Barrio.
- He started his career at the age of 18 at MIX, a diner in Chaska, Minnesota.